General Tso’s Chicken
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Hot Bitch At The Beach Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or Addiction Heaven & Hell Spice Blend)
- 1 & 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (We prefer thighs)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 3 medium scallions, cut into 1 & 1/2 inch pieces
- Cooked white rice, for serving
For the sauce, whisk the broth or water, soy sauce, Hot Bitch At The Beach Hot Sauce, hoisin, brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, 1 tsp. of the cornstarch, ginger and red pepper flakes or Addiction Heaven & Hell Spice Blend together in a small bowl and set aside.
In a bowl season the chicken with salt, then sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cornstarch and toss with your hands until evenly coated, separating any pieces that are stuck together.
Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a large cast iron pan or wok over medium-high heat until shimmering. (working in batches if necessary). Cook undisturbed until golden brown for 5-6 minutes then flip and repeat on the other side, until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
Add the scallions to the pan and cook until fragrant and beginning to char, about 30 seconds.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Rewhisk the sauce and pour into the pan.
Cook, tossing constantly, until the sauce thickens, is glossy, and coats the chicken, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Serve over rice.